Monday 23 February 2009

On the Albanian invasion

This morning, I was perturbed to look up from my muesli (currently addicted to Dorset Cereal's Super High Fibre) to see a friendly-looking man waving at me from the sidewalk. I'd conveniently forgotten all about the builders coming to attend to the 'slight' damp problem in the spare room. So, having let them in (God bless Albanian labour and immigrants from the rest of EU to do the dirty work the English can't be bothered with) and made them coffee, I watched in horror as they proceeded to hack the plaster off walls in the bedroom, passage, bathroom and kitchen, merrily insisting that it was all necessary, while coating the entire house in fine dust. I am girding my loins to have a word with our landlady about this. I've lost the knack for standing my ground, I think. I seem to remember being far more bellicose when I was younger. But my views on faith were given succour by a phone call today, offering me a job I applied for a week ago. It seems 'resting' actors like to work as market researchers because it takes advantage of their well-trained voices, while offering them highly flexible work that they can fit around auditions and performances. So I'm happy to have a way to put money in the kitty while networking with other actors, albeit out of work ones! And if that were what was required for Danny Boyle to offer me the lead in his next film, I'd be happy for the rest of Albania to invade while I was still in my pajamas...

No comments:

Post a Comment