Sunday 22 February 2009

On rush hour in Richmond Park

London, like all big cities, is both a horrible place to be poor in, and almost ideally designed for such. Particularly on a Sunday, when fresh coffee and croissants waft from every corner cafe. So, having nothing better to do, I set off for a run. My training schedule; one of many suggested in what passes for the bible in our household, The Lore Of Running by Tim Noakes, requires me to be doing heavy mileage on my weekend runs prior to my first marathon in Paris on April 5th. So I planned a route on mapmyrun.com that took me from Battersea, around Richmond Park, around Wimbledon Common and home again. Of course, I promptly got lost and had to stop at a running shop in East Sheen for directions (which were enthusiastically supplied) but I still managed to end up doing my target distance of 30km. The lap of Richmond Park was the highlight. The ducks are so picturesque in their ponds, and a lovely palomino was being given its head down the sward ahead of me. But it seems that Londoners, when not thronging the streets during the working week, decamp to Richmond Park on Sundays to run and cycle and stroll and push weird buggies ( they seem to develop increasingly bizarre ways to transport one's offspring every week ) and yell to no avail after their rampaging canines. Its a good place to be. The best things in life really are free. Well, almost. The victory burger I was treated to by Proud Husband at Gourmet Burger Kitchen was a juicy, close second...

And now I have another week yawning ahead of me. I need to find a job purely to put bread on the table, which is a hideous concept alone. This is something I never anticipated in my fairytale of Moving To The Big City To Find Fame And Fortune. But the good stuff only tastes good when its been fought for; that little I do know. There's something wonderful and freeing about looking into a new week and not knowing where your next job, or paycheck is coming from. Because, somehow, I just know this is where the great moments happen. It has something to do with faith, I think.

1 comment: