Monday 16 March 2009

On running from inertia

My career (silly word) feels like a stalled car on the hard shoulder of the entertainment superhighway. Did I really just write that sentence? The mind reels... However, its true. I moved to England with colourful, long-harboured dreams of big breaks and extravagant success and a never-ending deluge of exciting projects with thrilling people. Like Anthony Minghella. And then I ended up working in a shop for a year, selling cashmere to disdainful Saudi women. And obsessing about the laundry. But now that we've finally moved to London, and I'm a fully paid-up member of Equity and the Actors' Centre, I have to choose to give it my all or give up. Its now or...dare I complete the sentence? As my father the philosopher says, "Shit or get off the pot." Ah, Daddy; Alfred P. Doolittle eat your heart out. So I have no more excuses and I'm too damn stubborn to give up on my dreams of being a great film actress. Even writing it seems daunting. But its our greatest fears that offer us the greatest chance of fulfilment. I know this for sure because, two years ago, the concept of running for an hour would have brought me out in a rash. And yesterday I headed out into the Sunday sunshine and ran for four.

2 comments:

  1. I still think you're fabulous! And the running is pretty darn impressive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep expecting a big break for you so, are you going to fish or just cut bait? If you're not going to pee, get out of those bushes. Be like Dad & not like sis. Lift the lid before ... oh wait, that's a different saying.

    Also, I'm not your dad, I'm Jessie's Dad but that's my ID on this site. I'm your uncle. Uncle Dad I suppose. That doesn't sound good at all. Don't be confused about your dad. The last I saw him he was in South Africa, not Canada. I'm sure he's fine. He probably has better sayings than me too. Jessie gave me a shirt with my sayings on it. She seemed to enjoy or at least remember them. Enjoy your run. I'm going to say good bye now.

    ReplyDelete