Monday 2 March 2009

On wish fulfilment

I had a crazy thought this evening, as I was cycling the last mile of an hour long trip to the City and home. I had gone to a, well I've actually no idea what it was - kind of an an audition/workshop for a stage school that is recruiting new teachers. I had got there eight minutes late after getting lost in the dark in the multitudinous one way streets around Euston and they told me I was too late; humiliating and frustrating. But the crazy thought occurred to me as I wearily duked it out with gimlet-eyed taxi drivers on the way home. I always wanted this. I looked into the future as a young slip of a thing, and actually wanted to be a struggling actress. I was convinced it was romantic and character forming and exciting. I could tell that silly girl other things, but I think in many ways she was right. And I have to believe in her dreams, or choose to go get a stable, well-paying, real job and start reproducing myself. Which I simply can't. Besides, I have an audition tomorrow... for Marty, the dumb blonde in Grease. If there's one thing I know about, it must be How To Be Blonde.

No comments:

Post a Comment